How much heat?

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

How much heat?

Postby bowieknife50 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:51 pm

Hey guys i just wondered how much heat you all are comfortable running your dogs in? Type of hunting doesn't really matter I'd even be interested to hear what a bird hunter says. The guys I run bear with start to get worried about 77* but we usually have really high humidity in the morning to go along with that. I've been running with my dogs in the afternoon at just over 80*. Has not been any issues but it's lower humidity in the evening and it's short distance and slow pace from the dog's perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: How much heat?

Postby lawdawgharris » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:53 pm

I have had mine in way hotter situations than I preferred them to be in. The humidity and the heat are both high here in Texas where I live. I know for a fact that I cast dogs at daylight one morning and caught 3 hogs. My Yonder gyp left on a pretty good race by herself on the 4th before I could do anything about it. By the time I got to her where she was bayed, it was 100 at 2pm. She was baying in a BAD briar thicket that had no air in it because it was so dense with only some trails through it here and there. The rabbits ran around it because it was that thick. I caught the hog that was about to stroke out from heat and caught her. She was fine and no problems. I think the three things that made that possible were being in shape, having really good air, and brains.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Pointers
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Pointers » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:57 pm

I will run my Pointer and GSP's for about 30 minutes at a time training with birds in the summer heat. I try to train in the afternoon if possible.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby pegleg » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:20 pm

Dogs don't handle heat great as a general rule.
There's many things that impact their ability. I have watched alot of types of dogs working in the heat and there is variation in how they perform. Condition, breed,coat,age, drive/excitability etc. All impact their ability. Work they do and how they do it is also important. I have some hounds I wouldn't be worried about in triple digit heat. Others anything over 80 and I watch closely.
For me the single biggest concern is if the dog will limit itself and cool down on its own. Cowdog birddog hound none of it matters if the dog isn't able to slow down or stop to cool itself.
A young dog or out of shape dog is more likely to have heat issues. But one that won't cool down is sure to have serious issues.
If you live where you can mostly avoid heat I would take that route just to make things easier. But I will say cats will over heat faster then a dog in good condition. But in activities where there's multiple animals like cattle work or quail hunting you need a dog that can take a breather cool down and return to work.
Then the final factor is heats effect on dogs scenting ability and scent itself. For me it will limit my interest in hunting if the heats high. Because success rate goes way down and the work is just harder on everything and has a higher chance of going wrong.
Our fall bear season here can see 90-100 temps and with running bears or excitable dogs you will have problems if the bear doesn't tree quickly. I just don't hunt much past mid morning for bear in the heat.
So take in every consideration and possibilities before you decide for yourself
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:51 pm

I agree with Nathan it really does depend a lot on the dog. As a bird hunter as well as a hound guy I have to evaluate each dog before I subject them to series hunting in very warm conditions.

Jon Kibler who wrote the book Lion Tales certainly had some good insights. Many times when we are hunting along with our dogs we feel the ambient temperature where we are up off the ground and at times it can feel rather cool, but you get right down on the ground especially if it is hard and rocky and the sun is beating down with ultraviolet rays cooking off that and it is a lot hotter. Couple that with a dog that is really working his nose close to that ground he is pulling in a lot more heat. Remember dogs don't sweat like horses and humans, and much of the heat the dissipate goes out thru the pads of their feet.

I always carry plenty of water even if i am a horseback and have been know to pack another horse with more water when I have to go on say a stock killer and you don't have the luxury of waiting on cooler weather. Another point to remember is even if the dog is drinking lots of water but still working hard he will be leeching electrolytes and mineral out of his body and will grow weak and could still experience heat related illness.

Early season bird hunting in many states is very hot even in Montana and North Dakota for early sharptail season temps can hit 90, and you can sure kill those hard running pointers and setters if you don't take extra precautions.

Several companies like Wilderness Athlete which is owned by a hound guy offer hydration products that can really step up your dogs game in these conditions.

I have seen more hound killed by this running bear than lion even though as a general rule bear inhabit wetter areas.

I have seen dogs die from heat stroke and believe me it is not pretty, so take care of your best friend, the common sense you use will pay off big time in the end.

As for me I am going to shade up for a bit. LOL!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:06 pm

They're all different aren't they? When we're exercising and I stop at a creek my bluetick might go take a couple laps even if she's really heated up. My Plott will wade right in and swim around drinking and just lay in the water til i call him out. Just for something more to read we think we hit the wall today with a couple dogs. Mean bear so a few got whipped and some that never quit quit. It was 2pm 83* and high humidity. We had to tackle two dogs in the road to end the chase at that point. Those two would have kept going quite a ways judging by how pissed they were to be caught. But with a mean bear and those conditions we didn't want to chance it.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”