Let’s talk.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:56 am

“lawdawgharris: Lol Rowdy, there aren’t many talkers for sure. Too many people can’t accept the difference in others taste in dogs and too many wear their feelings on their sleeve. This is the recipe for pi$$ing matches and hard feelings more times than not. There is a jacka$$ that just tries to stir stuff sometimes but you just gotta learn to ignore them. I love to talk dogs. I love to pick and make an attempt to be funny. I’m aggressive by nature so I’m not built to jaw back and forth. I worked for the prison system too long to understand that people are one way behind a locked door and another way when there’s nothing but air and opportunity between you. Keyboard warriors are much the same and ruin these type of sites. I’m not Mr Bad just not afraid to stand up for myself. There’s always somebody badder and there’s always another super dog out there. I hate that more of the older hunters don’t engage in these conversations. Many people complain about the way many hunters do things, or about different dog issues, etc. The way I see it is the veterans are in like a parental or grandparent role. If you don’t teach or at least attempt to, then don’t complain, be it on here, another site, or under your breath. Learning things the hard way is fine but it’s also the slowest way. Some people might call someone a know it all, but most people understand the difference between a blow hard and an intelligent individual that knows what they are talking about. As I’ve said, I hog hunt but I can learn from new dog people to the most experienced and from any discipline. I wish more of the breeding strategies, hunting strategies, training strategies, feeding and health care, etc. was commented on by some of the people that have been in it for years and years. There are more individuals out there than we think that are 70+ or in that neighborhood that have been dogging in some form since childhood or birth. There’s no way they don’t have things to offer us. Heck even if it’s just about the difference in dogs then and now or the how they hunted and old hunting stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk”

I know what you mean, some people are just argumentative and confuse another’s opinions with obliging them to argue. I wish all the old timers would quit being shy and give their .2 along with those turds that wanna argue, shutting their pie holes.

“Beebout-it: Lol I agree lots of people only post when they have puppies for sale. That looks like a good size lion track. Curious how often your dogs leave a cold lion tracks for a hotter fox, if I were to allow mine to chase fox or coyotes I don't think I'd ever catch a lion.”

Well I haven’t had any issues with foxes yet, mostly just when I haven’t found a track that they wanna run one out of boredom. But my dogs are by no means finished or good hounds ha ha ha!
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:55 am

It would be nice to bewhere you wanted to be by talking to people that have been there and done that, but it don’t work that way for most. Most people who want to give advice can’t take their dogs to the woods and show you evedence of their advice.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:23 pm

Yes sir, you’re absolutely correct!
Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000073410597

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:38 pm

All I've been doing is coon hunting on public since I hurt my back. No more fall mountain running. I'll probably make it to Nevada a few times to hunt this winter while I wait to get onto my duck clubs for the remainder of coon season. Hopefully I have a better spring.
Cassandra Davis
Redwood's Treeing Walker Coonhounds
& Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/
https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodKennelsHounds
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:57 pm

Best of luck to you Redwood!

Mule man I get where you’re coming from. Advice is one of those things an individual has to weigh out in my opinion. Nobody is 100% right 100% of the time, heck I was wrong one time. Poor sources have good advice every now and then and great sources can give wrong advice at times. We just have to weigh it all out. Sometimes you can get advice from more than one source about the same subject and while the advice from both sources is different, both can still be correct. You just have to be able to decide which is best for you at the time and circumstance. Next time you may need to apply the advice that didn’t quite fit this time. Maybe none of it is a fit but it might get your wheels to turning help you come up with your own answer. Many of the veteran hunters don’t have anything to prove to anybody in my honest opinion. The way I see it, as long as they’ve been at, something about their approach works or they would’ve hung it up way before they had a lifetime invested in it. Some people are gluttons for punishment though. I have a couple buddies that if y’all knew their wives you’d know I’m right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:46 am

Well its 12:45 am and lion season has arrived, except its currently 52 degrees and there's no snow to speak of. But I'm up and going to go search for snow to look for a track in in the highest country i can get to. At daylight ill road the dogs in a few drainages in hopes of starting a cat , either lion or bobber. I saw 2 coons on the edge of the river on Sunday so thats a possibility in some areas. But anyways away we go!!
Spencer
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Spencer » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:59 am

well i finally got some venison in my freezer. hope to get another doe to top off the freezer, but would rather run the dogs. Lawdog, I ust read your post a couple pages back about hounds, listening to them and watching them work. i couldnt agree more. especially the part about watching a good dog work and how they can move through the woods and brush effortlessly
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:18 pm

Spencer, the boss lady just cooked some deer chili the other night. It was sure good. Me and my youngest boy deboned, ground, and vac packed 100 lbs. My nephew got a buck and a doe and my youngest son got a buck. It’s sure enough good stuff and a lot of work.

Beebout-it, your getting a good jump on it. Don’t forget to leave some of those ole cats for seed stock, lol.

We don’t hunt during deer season here. Just not worth getting cross with deer hunters and costing myself hunting spots or even getting dogs shot. I could go at night but I quit night hunting years ago. It was just too big a pain in the behind. Always losing leads or some piece of equipment that got snatched out of pocket by the brush or head lights constantly snatched off of your head. If you use a flash light then you are either trying to control a hog with one hand or you gotta drop it and then you stomp it in the dirt or even worse drop it in the water and mud where you have the hog caught. Hogs are going to be caught in the most inconvenient spots 95% of the time lol. That being said, I have one spot that isn’t deer hunted and the neighbors don’t either. Me and my nephew dropped dogs out there yesterday. They found a pretty good sow that had separated from her group to nest. She had six or eight pigs about a week old. We got her and pretty much all the pigs and called it a hunt. It was nice to get out and watch a a good baying. I don’t get to hunt like I use to because of my health and I think that makes the itch even worse.

Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:43 pm

What’s everyone up to today?
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:26 am

Wifes been sick so nursing her as well as I can. I haven't been feeling well since the first either but not nearly as bad as her. Its day 4 of lion season and its 65 degrees no snow to speak of. We found a bit of snow at 8500 feet on opening day and ran a female lion, snow was melting so fast we didn't get it caught but you'll have that on a big job lol!
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:46 am

Shoot, glad to hear you’re getting on something! I’ve got family obligations and won’t be able to get out until after the 11th.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:02 pm

Dang I hope y’all are better soon. I’m not waiting on snow lol, but I sure wish deer season was over!

Deff
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Deff » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:26 pm

I keep hounds mainly to be general ranch dogs to chase coyotes , bears and cats away from my farmstead and calving grounds. In the past, I always had a "good old hound" to show the puppy the ropes when we got a new pup. We do take them out some to hunt coon and whatever else shows up, but their main purpose is "pets and ranch patrol"! Last year, my pup got run over and killed and my old dog died so now I'm trying to train a pair, one a year old and the other a six month old puppy. I keep them in the house at night and yesterday morning I let them out without their tracking/training collars on. They disappeared and a winter storm blew in. The older dog showed up back at the house at midnight, tired, cold and sore. The puppy didn't show up until noon today and she had a ripped bloody ear and a triumphant gleam in her eyes! They might just pan out yet!
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:14 pm

Hey, at least she showed up! Glad to hear it. Of course that kinda stuff always happens when they don’t have a collar on…
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:57 am

Lol almost sounds like that Homeward bound movie. I’m sure glad they showed up. Says a lot for that younger one too.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”