Let’s talk.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:16 am

Snow travel sounds terrible! I hope your new dog gives you what you need bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:46 am

Thank you sir! It darn sure isn’t easy. Even when it isn’t crusted over, it’s like walking around on hot sand. It’s just not solid and you’re using all the little muscles in your legs to keep from slipping or falling. As far as the new dog, he seems to be working out, but that was only the first hunt.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:38 pm

I don't think I would catch half of the Bobcats i turn out on and definitely my lion numbers would go way down if I allowed my dogs to run fox! How often do you have them quit a cold lion for the first hot fox they cross?
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:56 pm

I haven’t had an issue with that yet. Just trashing on deer so far.
GVBEAR
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby GVBEAR » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:05 pm

Snow shoes are a good idea but depending on the snow conditions sometimes they are more of a headache than a benefit. If you got just crust and snow like sand you will sink with them on just like boots just more work to pull them out.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:38 pm

Turned out a a nice big bobcat track in a strong skiff of fresh snow today. Cat was walking on top of the little bit of concrete hard snow we already had. Dogs were having a really hard time with moving it. About 4 hours in and 3 miles later they started to pick it up. At that point my 8 month old male pup makes a hard turn and is heading straight back to wear i turned loose. He's opening with every breath and I'm watching and just waiting for the bobcat to pop out when along comes a big fat mule deer doe, and just as I reach for my garmin to flow a little electricity through his ass he hits the breaks turns and hauls ass back to the big dogs just in time to make the jump and tree it . Best tom I've caught all season.
Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000073410597

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:15 pm

One more week until duck season is over and I can hit my private land. Public land is slow. I don't kill any but what the dogs catch on the ground, but everyone else thinks they need to kill everything they tree. Jokes on them because most don't have any private to hunt, so there coon season is pretty much over. My puppy turned 6 months a couple days ago, still small but she is starting to muscle up like a little race horse, and she is going more and more and poking around, seen her starting to put her head down some and check the world out with her nose. She's going into the good part of season at the perfect age. By April 1st I expect her to be making the races in the water and briars and hopefully treeing, at least in the day. I do a lot of my coon hunting in the day vs night. Older I get the harder it is for me to stay awake. I caught a coon in the briars Sunday and then treed a few squirrels with the cur dogs. I really like getting after squirrels anymore. Them dogs get over into the briars and push them out then tree them and they jump like crazy and half the time jump out right into the dogs mouth.
Cassandra Davis
Redwood's Treeing Walker Coonhounds
& Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/
https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodKennelsHounds
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:13 pm

Deer season just ended here so it’s game on lol. We’ve made 5 hunts and I think the numbers caught went like 7, 4, 4, 10, and 3 and that’s not counting all the little pigs. There’s probably been a truck bed full of those caught. Caught a really nice hog 2 days ago with my oldest boy.

Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:10 pm

I sort of want to take my Catahoulas out pig hunting, I've been a lot with dogs when I was young. But in California you about can't get on them on public. Private has that monopoly. I have friends who use a lot of my hounds on pigs, I just never got into it. I keep saying I'm gonna go. I'd like to see my curs do it, just for shits and giggles. Cause I have a hard time placing the pups with houndsmen for coon and bear. Even though the parents are proven treedogs that can catch bear and coon. Hog hunters don't want them because the parents aren't hog dogs, even though they come from hog dog stock.
Cassandra Davis
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:30 pm

I live about 5 miles from the Catahoula Regisrery and am surrounded by hog hunters. Everyone here uses a different breed of dog. Everybody catches hogs. Twenty years ago it was all cur dogs and most were Catahoula. Everyone caught hogs then. Somewhere along the way they started crossing cur and hound with heavy preference on Catahoula on Plott and they catch hogs. Now days some have gone to all hounds, potlickers and Reg. running walkers and they catch hogs. It really looks like no other breed has it over another,just what a man chooses to hunt.
Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:56 pm

No I get that, no one breed is best at anything. I use my Catahoulas to bear and coon hunt. I don't cross my curs and hounds together, I keep them separate and pure. But out here, no one wants a cur to do that type of hunting, they want running dogs or booticks. The cur hunters only want pups of proven hog dogs, which I get, but its a tough game for me because I don't use mine for that. My buddies even use all hounds to hog hunt, they want hound pups from me to hunt and are never interested in the curs.
Cassandra Davis
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:20 am

Hogs in the last 20 years have evolved. Here in Texas and other southern places where it gets really hot, you need a dog with bottom. “Most pure cur types” don’t have that type of bottom for the running hogs of modern day. “Most pure cur types” don’t have the drive to hunt in the heat like they do when it’s cooler. “Most pure hounds” are loud on track like they are bred to be. Where I’m at, the concentration of hogs is so high that you better produce numbers or someone else will be getting the call to come hunt them. Hounds don’t typically have the working “style or stock sense” that the cur types have. When you cross and get the beat of both worlds, you have a dog that is really hard to beat. We cast our dogs so I personally want dog that hunts hard. I want drive, which to me comes from the hound. Most people say that curs do it for their master and hounds do it for themselves. I prefer the hound mentality. They can have every tool but without drive or want to it doesn’t matter. Second I want brains. Brains affects their ability to get better, working a track (maybe even cutting corners), the right amount of grit and pressure, etc. I also want a dog that is fast tracking dog. That forces runners to stop a lot of times. Hogs are like Bear’s in the sense that they can run fast but they can’t run fast for long distances. They have this little trot they get in and they can go for miles. When you force them to run hard they gotta stop or if they can’t get far enough ahead to stop and catch their wind then they bay up. Then when that happens I want that dogs that is smart enough and gritty enough to keep them there. My family of dogs are catahoula/treeing Walker. They look more cur in build but many of them have houndy type mouths and color with a little more ear than most curs. There is no magic or beat breed for sure. Mine definitely are far from perfect and probably wouldn’t get fed by most, but I buy their feed and they make me happy lol. There are a few pure families that don’t fit the stereotypes but for one reason or another, either the person(s) that have them won’t let them out, or they are off the grid so to speak and aren’t known. There are other reasons but I would bet these two are the most common.

Redwood, you said you use your curs on bear. How do you use them? Is it from start to finish or turn into a hot race, etc.? I’m certainly not trying to be a smart butt. I’m just curious. I have heard of others that used cur types on bear and they used them differently.

macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:39 am

Believing that there is a superior breed to do any job is daydreaming. It’s all about the hunter. I know a lot of people disagree but if you take a pack that’s not doing very good for someone and put them in the hands of someone that a good handler, that pack will definitely get better. If you go buy a pack from a good hunter you won’t do as good as he did. Most of the time they fall completely apart. It boils down to the man that’s the best hunter always without fail has the best dogs regardless of breed. Some carpenters build better houses and they all use 16 oz hammers and lumber.
WalkerCurCat
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby WalkerCurCat » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:05 am

LawDawg, Muleman experience doesn't lie!! Yall hit those nails on the head so to speak.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:14 pm

I 100% agree Mule man

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”