Postby shady grove » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:12 pm

Does anybody coonhunt with them?
Opinions welcome.
Hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: blackmouth curs

Postby Hunter » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:01 pm

I used to have Ladner Black mouth curs. The first 2 that I owned were by far the fastest pups that I've every owned to tree their own coon solo. The male was totally silent and barely barked on tree where as the female was silent on track and counted them off on tree. The male would catch anything he could get close to but, was very easy going around other dogs. The female would set back and bark at anything that wouldn't climb. The female was killed and the male was stolen.

After those 2 I had several more and they were nothing like the first ones. They would fight anything including each other and at a tree one night 2 of them got into a fight and 1 tore the ear off the other. I done away with them both right there. 1 night while hunting 2 more I reached my hand into the box and put the tracking collar on 1 dog and the other dog bit THROUGH my hand as I was pulling it out of the box to get the other collar. I liked to have never got it broke off my hand. The dog gave me absolutely no warning that it was going to bite me. I done away with it as well.

My problem with them were that I could walk down a sandy road and not find a track then come back 2 hours later and there's a bear track and they couldn't run it. I had to walk them on top of a bear but, if they found a track that they could run that dang bear would go up a tree or they would come home chewed and cut to hell.

Now with the negatives out of the box, the positives are that if you have small areas to hunt those curs work fine. They hunt like a bird dog and don't leave the country on a cold track.
shady grove
Facebook ID: 0

Postby shady grove » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:14 pm

Ive been told by those that hunt them that there are two kinds of these dogs. One line make tree dogs and the other are cow and bay type dogs.

Ive been huntin hounds for 18 yrs or so and Im tired of using a trakker to find them treed.
My huntin spots are increasingly gettin logged and irate property owners dont want you to come on their land to get your dogs.

Im going to start hunting with a man that has hunted them for a long time this fall.
If they are what he says I suspect Ill be done with hounds.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:23 pm

Don't over look the MT. Curs & Leopard Curs Both in most cases will have better noses and more tree then the BMC
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
shady grove

Postby shady grove » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:37 pm

I have a half mt cur and half bluetick pup that is showing alot of promise. Id post pics of him treein if I could figure out how.

Return to “Coon Hunting”