Average Length of Race

Talk about Coon Hunting
STX-Hunter
Facebook ID: 0

Average Length of Race

Postby STX-Hunter » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:52 am

How far and how long will a coon in your area run for? I have been having some pretty good races lately here in South Texas.

Last night ran one for twenty minutes and covered a good amount of ground and treed. Then ran another for a much longer time that finally bayed up in some cattails in a tank. My dad shot him in the cattails.

Tonight not much of a race at all, on the first tree, more of a popup but had 3 coons in the tree. Then ran another that ran around in an oak mott then took of for half a mile then treed. Dang good race.

We were hunting with my dad's bluetick, and my black and tan and my running walker. All three good dogs and pretty fast. I wish we had something that would put some teeth on a coon on the ground though. We would have caught and killed the longer running coons on the ground much quicker if any of the three would grab hold.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Average Length of Race

Postby david » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:27 pm

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:58 pm

Man I totally agree with that David. Trail to chase or trail to catch is what determines the length of a lot of races. Many dogs that are slow on track are happy chasing. MANY hog hunters don't want any mouth on track. They figure it pushes the hogs. At one time I didn't mind it because I knew track speed was the biggest factor. Our hogs have evolved and they get up and move when they know a dog is on the ground, usually in that little all day trot they get in. Coons are know different in the sense that they have enough sense judge how far a dog is when he opens, if he's moving towards them and at what rate of speed. Track speed does one of two things to our coons and our hogs. Either they feel pressured and tree or they are rushed and make a mistake which gets them caught on the ground. I've hunted coons with one guys dogs and everytime it was a long race. Myself and another guy could cast the same place and tree in half the time or distance.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:58 pm

Last edited by david on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:33 pm

I’ve coon hunted a good bit in South Louisiana and can’t recall having a ( LONG FAST) coon race. I’ve usually have a long slow coon race or a short fast coon race, long and fast races are usually been something other than a coon. Had a half red tick/ halftreeing walker that had a lot of one hour fast coon races in the hills and when it decided to take the swamp, on the first out she would move out on a much slower pace and have a coon treed in 5-10 minute. Anyone who has coon hunted much at all knows what happened. The average slow race with a tree is about 30-45 min. The average short fast race with a tree is about 10. The next time you have a fast race started look at your watch, when it’s over look at your watch. They are usually not as long as they seem. I’m talking dogs running game swapping leads and never missing a bark.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:20 pm

Running to catch is more of an expression than it is the actual act of catching. It could also be said running to put it up, running to bay it, running to stop it. Treeing it, baying it, or catching it all mean the quarry is no longer in flight. It means they have caught up to whatever the quarry may be and are doing their best to make sure it stays right there. It's absolutely true that many wanted to hear the race and it is true that most of those that "caught" were discarded. Later on though the opposite was true when people needed them to catch. They were hunting to rid the coyotes, fox, coons, etc. The pretty sound of a good race was not the purpose for these people as it was for the nobles. Catching their quarry or allowing the person hunting the opportunity to kill the quarry was at the forefront of desirable traits. I'm 47 years old and have been super fortunate to be mentored by some men that were very good dog men. The terms run to catch or run to chase are terms I've grown up hearing. Just as the animals we hunt evolve, so do the dogs we use to hunt those animals. A good example of what I was speaking of are the hounds we used at the prison. If we had put dogs on an escaped inmates track that just wanted to run or chase we wouldn't have caught many escapees. But because these dogs ran to catch, they pushed the track as fast as possibly could because that was their reward in a sense. And I promise, they ran to catch. You didn't want to be where they could get to you when they caught up. My hog dogs are not rough, but are running to stop a hog. Smaller hogs in the 100 to 120 pound range had better get in some good thick cover and stay put or it's likely a caught hog when more than one dog gets there. Bigger hogs than that they will bay but it better stay faced up or they are gonna grab it in the pride and joy and I don't mean reach up there and pinch it. My last coon dog was a bluetick/treeing walker cross. He ran to catch. He would over run the track a lot of times because he was in such a hurry to catch up to the coon. He loved to catch'em on the ground and it didn't take but a couple shakes for it to be done. He wasn't gonna bark if he could get to it. It had better tree if wanted to live. That's the difference in what I consider to be the 2 types of track dogs.

macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:19 am

Lawdag, nobody in my area used hunting to thin out predators back in the day. If some was loosin stock of any kind, they used poison. Everybody had a small wooden keg of stricnine, probably about 25#. If they had to poison they usually let all the neighbors know to keep all the dogs shut up for a few days. Whatever ate it was found only a short distance from the kill.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:53 am

Yes sir saw that a lot here too. But, at one point I was pretty bad many people didn't mind keeping their dogs up for a couple of days but many of them didn't want to do it for prolonged periods and so it got to where they were doing any and everything to thin out the coyotes. When people hunted for hides, they wanted numbers. The race sounded good but the objective was numbers. They couldn't put the numbers with the run to chase type as they could with the high pressure dogs. I'm not knocking those type dogs at all. I appreciate the good sounding race myself and I certainly agree with David on how there came to be so many of that type. This all makes me think of an old man that I met years ago. He had asked me to come hog hunt an area where he ran coyotes so his young dogs wouldn't be tempted to trash on them. He was 90 years old when I met him and was one of the last people I knew of in our area that was still running free world coyotes. Most were hunting under high fence already. He said he would've too but he didn't want to change dogs. He said he tried it but the pen owner got kinda put out with his dogs because they made much shorter work of a couple coyotes than the other peoples dogs. They had dogs bred like the nobles did. They didn't care near as much about catching as they did about listening to the race. He had bred for speed and for them to catch and kill the coyotes. The coyotes his dogs caught had just been put in there. He said he'd just ride it out in the free world hunting because at 90 he didn't think he had much more time to hunt. I wish I had been smart enough to get some of those dogs from him.

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:44 am

Last edited by david on Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:40 am

I started to understand that I liked to hunt and listen to dogs run things in about 1950, I was about 10 yrs. old at that time. Most all the fox hunts I went to, the talk around the fire was what dog was in the lead. Never heard any talk or any interest who had a catch or kill dog. They wanted a dog that could control a fox race. You didn’t have to have a kill dog for that. Speed with line control was the desired dog. I never found many running walkers that had a desire to kill, run to overtake or stay up close to be able to smell stron fox scent maby was the dogs idea of enjoyment, I don’t know. Most will put their mouth on game in a bay up but not with intent to kill. I’ve only had one running dog that would kill game by himself . That fox hunting, don’t know much about cayote.went cayote hunting with my cousin and the chayotes ran his dogs back to the truck. I don’t think he had kill dogs.
ethertonee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby ethertonee » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:03 am

The average race for me is 10 min or so and 1/4 to 1/2 mile distance. If it goes much more then that I have a dog that gets kind of quiet. He catches about 1/4 of them or more on the ground. The other dog has only caught 1 or 2 on the ground in 6 years. I have races that will go 30 min and over a mile some times, but that is more the exception then the rule. I hunt mostly in central Nebraska in river bottoms.

Return to “Coon Hunting”