Bobcat dog question

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
rum3002576
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Bobcat dog question

Postby rum3002576 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:39 pm

Just wondering what kind of price I should ask for a dog I have. He is 7 years old and is from Kemp. Really good dog and is an awesome at the tree. He has ran bobcats here in Pa since he was a pup when I got him from Mike. Also runs grays and the occasional bear I’m getting out of it and just don’t know what to ask for him.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Bobcat dog question

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:03 pm

Unfortunately the price of a dog and beauty are both in the eyes of the beholder….maybe a bit more detailed info would help, like you say he runs bobcats, but will he tree one alone?is he a front runner in the pack? Picking up looses a lot? How many has he been under? I always struggle pricing a dog I part with because I only get rid of the ones that aren’t doing everything I expect from my hounds. Sure would be nice every time to get every dime you’ve got into the dog back plus money for your time training but unfortunately that’s usually not the case.
rum3002576
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby rum3002576 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:02 am

He’s my top dog. I’m only selling cause I’m getting out of running hounds. He’s caught cats alone and been on I wouldn’t even dare guess on how many cats he’s been on but for out here in Pa a lot. I’m down to two dogs and once there gone I’m done. Included with him is my alpha 100 and 4 collars. The only thing I’m ever did with him is rigging. We run a lot of baits here and drop at them and also just freecast .
Last edited by rum3002576 on Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:48 pm

Is there a good population of bobcats around there, I’m originally from Ohio and wasn’t aware they were ever around when I grew up. Bait piles for bobcats? I’ve done it when I was starting to run them and it helped but if it wasn’t cold enough it was a pain keeping fresh meat for them to come to.
rum3002576
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby rum3002576 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:37 pm

Yes we have a fair amount here in Pa. Bait sites are basically half beaver carcasses wired to trees and covered like a cubby set for trapping cats or fisher. Works really good in the winter time. After February it’s back to freecasting
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:41 pm

That’s cool!! What part of Pennsylvania are you in?
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:28 pm

Like everyone always says, a dog is worth what someone will pay for it. Things to take into consideration are is he intact? His age, being 7 he is on the decline. How broke is he? Is he broke to one species of game, or more of just a meat dog? His hunting abilities such as is he a start dog, does he rig, is he a good locating tree dog? Any weird behaviors or faults? You might have some luck letting other local dog men know his is available, especially if anyone else near you runs similar blood.

I used to have a few dogs bred like him, I really like them but I sold them when I moved down south.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Huntingâ€