Opinions on a hole dog

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
hoss7
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Opinions on a hole dog

Postby hoss7 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Looking for opinions on a hole dog. I run blueticks and bluetick/english but I have a jack russell that is 35lbs of @$$hole and am thinking about trying him as a hole dog or cab dog if you will. Any input is helpful as I am relatively new to this life.
OUTLAW KENNELS
Home of the Blues
kc
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Opinions on a hole dog

Postby kc » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:36 pm

hoss, we never have yotes hole around here. but iof we did it would take something bigger than a jack, no offense. thanks for checking out my site.
HOME OF MCDONNELL`S REDBONES.

http://www.kcshounds.com/mcdonnells_redbones.php

WEBSITE.

http://www.kcshounds.com/index.php

HOME OF THE YOTE JUNKIES
hoss7
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby hoss7 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:46 pm

no offense taken I was just curious if any of you pros used anything smaller for getting yotes out of culverts and such. I know a few guys use patterdales occasionally and I know my jack is bigger than them. Thanks for the input and you have a nice site for idiots like me a lot of info alot of connections and great pics. Keep it up.
OUTLAW KENNELS
Home of the Blues
reed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby reed » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:18 pm

What do the guys around you do? Might check with them and see what is working and maybe try and get ahold of some.
Caincando1
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Caincando1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:20 pm

Finding a hole dog for yotes seems to be the holy grail for yote hunting. We put a lot of yotes in drainage tubes. I’m assuming you do too considering we are so close. No body around here has come up with a good hole dog for yotes. I hunt Patterdales but not as hole dogs for yotes. I know plenty of other terriermen who have tried to come up with the a earth dog for ground work on yotes and no body as seem to come up with a good consistent one. There are a few guys that have used different kinds of bigger terriers with varying success. Others are using small bull dogs and crosses again with varying success. I haven’t seen any work around here. Those yotes just seem to have too many teeth and too big of mouth for dogs to get around in a hole. The little dogs just get chewed up and bigger dogs can’t get in the holes. So you gotta get a hard terrier that is similar sized to a yote. Then the challenge is getting them to draw the yote out. Honestly if just don’t seem to be an easily feasible task. We lose a lot of yotes in tubes and we just chalk it up as part of hunting.

This is a good question for Vargy's site. There a both hound and terrier hunters on there.
Mountainhound
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Mountainhound » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:51 pm

What about a scottish terrier? Originally to prove beedabilty they were trown in a barrel with a badger if they killed it the were worthy. Their small but their stout with some serious cannines.
LCK
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby LCK » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:40 pm

Well, I have had very good luck with my JR terrier in holes with yotes. Maybe he is the exception? Have you looked at the Jagd Terrier? Gutty double tough little deamons. The real story is not so much the breed, but the individual dog. Some get it done and some do not.
Smiley
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Smiley » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:26 pm

I believe there are some people breeding for a little larger Jagd terrior and I would bet that a 25# Jagd would probably get it done in most instances . That is one breed that I have seen very few dogs that were not game .
CB Kennels " Color Blind Kennels " haha
jst
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby jst » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:37 pm

I had a couple of airedales that were really good at getting a coyote out. They were red line and a bit on the small side. But anything u use will get bit up. So be prepared. I've got a small pit bull that Im thinking mht fill that bill for me in the future.
If only I could be the man, my dogs think I am.
Bdog
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bdog » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:51 pm

I hunted coldbloods for many years and caught hundreds of yotes. I also used a 22lb Jadg female that encouraged lots of those critters their hiding places. This dog did get chewed on but in 10 minutes or so everything either bolted or was extracted. This dog lived to the ripe-old-age of 15, not common but she was a good one with smarts. So it can be done, you just need the right dog for your style of hunting. Paco's son had some Jadg/pitt crossed puppies that looked interesting for this kind of stuff so you might want to contact him on this subject.

Bruce
YotaDawger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby YotaDawger » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:33 pm

I got u buddy that has some hole dogs they have nver been on a yote. But they play hecck on a coon or nutria down one. jadg fox fell cross and the other is a fell jadg cross. they weigh 15 to 20 ponds couple of them a yote would have there hands full.
Gettin western !
sawtooth
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby sawtooth » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:16 pm

i have a liter of 4 1/2 month old jagd x airedale pups that are looking gritty enough to get the job done.
Chasing Canines and Riding Equines

-Sheldon
sawtooth99@gmail.com
Mr.pacojack
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000463480608

Postby Mr.pacojack » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:04 am

Hey Sheldon, give me a call will ya?
LIGHTNING RIDGE KENNELS
Walker breeding at it's best
Used to Catch Big Game
Our choice is as simple as Black and White
Devin Staker
970-756-5998
http://www.forum.workingdogsworldwide.com/
wiblueboy
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby wiblueboy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:34 pm

Buddy of mine uses a jagd. That thing is crazy on a yote. If it wont come out, that little dog will MAKE mr.yote come out
Hunt with Blueticks
hoss7
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby hoss7 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:36 am

Thanks for all the input folks! Thats why I love this site, everyone has an opinion and is free to express it!! Good Luck to everyone this season.
OUTLAW KENNELS
Home of the Blues

Return to “Coyote Hunting”