Have a question for you experienced fox hunters

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Have a question for you experienced fox hunters

Postby hillbilly boy » Thu May 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Ok my question is is it normal for fox red or grey fox to use dens in the winter time I ask because a friend of mine who lives in Germany told me most of the foxes he gets is not by running them with hounds but by using a gundog to track them to the dens and using a terrier to flush them out but I was thinking I read somewhere that the ones over here only use them for rising young or getting away from hounds so any input would be great thanks
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Have a question for you experienced fox hunters

Postby perk » Thu May 18, 2017 10:28 pm

You can find them in their dens in all seasons, it is their home, they may spend more time there when the weather is nasty (precipitation falling) or when they raising young ones. And they will use any hole, not just their den to escape danger. But I'd say they use them year round, least in my neck of the woods
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Fri May 19, 2017 12:03 am

Your not to far away from me just across the state line so would you think the way my friend described his gun dog tracking one to it den could work the reason I ask is it getting hard to find a place to run them with hounds like my grandpa and dad did since my friend said the gundogs work closer than hounds and a lot easier to work with
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Fri May 19, 2017 11:27 am

I'd first check to see if it is legal in your state to bother a den. I know in va it is illegal to molest any den be it a Fox, raccoon, beaver, squirrels nest, etc.
As to if it would work I don't know, would have no desire to try, and honestly can't understand what anyone would get out of it. I hunt foxes for the joy of the chase, If my concern was killing foxes I think a caller or a trap will do the job just fine.

But that's only my opinion, if your interested in it, get a dog and try it out, you don't need us in here to legitimize your ideas, heck get yourself a dog and start
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
driftwood blue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby driftwood blue » Fri May 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Perk said it all.. get a hound and hunt-- lots more fun than killing them. and it will get you off the computer to where you can learn something about life.
stevemac
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100002530954394

Postby stevemac » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:35 am

Red Fox live in dens All year round we hunt them with sighthounds and terriers most of the time. Some use gun dogs like GWP. or wiemaraner some use beagles and drive them to gun. we even have several mounted packs of foxhounds. but over here its all about kill a feral pest that shouldn't be here. and there here in their millions.
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:34 am

I'll send you a pregnant female coyote stevemac. Your fox problem will be solved in no time.
stevemac
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby stevemac » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:55 am

Thanks in the north of the country the dingoes take care of them but in the south the dingos were killed off because they like sheep even more than foxes.
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:24 am

Stevemac, something I have always wondered, has anyone ever run dingos with hounds? I have tried to google it but found nothing. They might smell too much like a dog, but I have seen a lot of dogs that were just running another dog and it still sounded good.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:32 pm

stevemac
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby stevemac » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:36 am

Ya it happens the deer hunters shoot a lot that are being driven by their hounds. They are sneaky buggers that like to work their way around hounds and hock them. I've had them come into my dogs and leave just as quick when they relies there is more than dogs to fight. And Dan its not common But I do know a few blokes that hunt them with grey/ staghounds. My cousin has trouble with them where he hunts pigs coming into a catch and the pigdogs taken them on and letting the pig go. the dingoes usually loose when they take on pigdogs.
TomJr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 100004374097746

Postby TomJr » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:18 pm

What is the history of Dingos? I know they are wild dogs but was under the impression that they were brought in ages ago by the ancestors of the aboriginal people. And then went feral.

Tom Beatty Jr

Return to “Fox Hunting”