treeing walker for fox

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: treeing walker for fox

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:16 am

If you want to run up on a fox from dusk till dawn, running Walker is the only way to go. If you are ready to go home in about 4-5 hrs most anything will work. I use 3/4 running Walker and 1/4 beagle. Beagle has as much desire and stamina as a Walker but can't run up on the game as long. A good 4 hr non stop race is enough for me, I catch up and go take a hot shower and a soft clean bed. That's hard to beat.
flyingfinn

Postby flyingfinn » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:07 pm

I thought that this topic died. :D
Thank you very much for bringing up so much information, and things to think. It really took me more than 4 times to read and understand all posts. :D (might be my bad english)
But again, thanks mates for keeping up the conversation! :)
Most of running dogs we have here in Finland makes great dogs from start to finish, we train them individually to jump the game up and we take critters from the hole with them.
Because one we'll trained dog can handle the whole thing that's why it's hard for me to see why keep big pack of hounds. Of course they all doesn't make it, but they don't end up to breed.
So if I haven't understood wrong, it's best to stay at running hounds and hope for the best that the dog has enough brains that he/she understands that the fox is in the hole and are also so gritty that they want it from there?

The feeling now is that treeing walker doesn't have enough stamina and speed to keep up with the fox all day. Am I completely wrong if I say that their strenght and stamina is close to plott?
What I've seen plotts running fox, not a single one has impressed with their skills.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Flyinfinn, the reason for the whole lack thing isnt because a single dog cant circle for to gun or hole, it's because American style fox hunting isnt about shooting a fox, infact 95% of fox hunters would never shoot a fox. The point is about the music, guys like the music. For some the kill/catch is anti climatic and means thebfox now will never provide enjoyment agian. Guys who just wanna kill foxes or coyotes generally us a caller and a rifle.
And for what it's worth personally I'd stay away from coon hound breeds if I wanted to fox hunt.
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
flyingfinn

Postby flyingfinn » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:46 am

I see there are some big cultural differences. We have talked few years ago with friends that when we stop shooting foxes and just run them, we can just sell our guns and hounds. :D
Also it's hard to know what these walker coonhounds can do, cause i've never seen one running game and there's not a single one registered in Finland.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:05 pm

I knew one foxhunter that fox hunted to kill fox. He started after midnight and started getting ahead of the race at daylight for the kill. Had a barn covered in fox hide. I don’t think anyone hunted with him but all the neighbors appreciated what he did as most people had a lot of chicken,turkeys and guineas back then. This took place in Attala County Mississippi. He raised July hounds that looked nothing like the July today. They were tall leggy dogs with hair on back of front and back legs with flag tails. Mostly orange, yellow,brown ring neck blanket back with white points and white tip tails. A few were open spotted. I never saw a b/t or brindle fox dog in those days.1950-1970.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Goose » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:03 pm

macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:55 pm

Goose, I guess there was a chance of that happening,but I think it would be a slim chance in Attala Co. miss. In the late 40s and early 50s.
HowardB
Facebook ID: 0

Postby HowardB » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:40 pm

America First

Return to “Fox Hunting”