Hound books - Stories, training and techniques

Share your thoughts about different Hound Books, shows, videos.. etc.
Hounder-
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Hound books - Stories, training and techniques

Postby Hounder- » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:13 am

Hey all,

I know there is already a post about "good" hound books but I was wondering if any one out there would help refine the list a little bit for me.

Right now I'm looking for some hound books that are focused on training big game hounds and techniques for hunting/patterning game, namely bobcats, bears and lions. Basically a book with tips and tricks used by hunters........

I have heard Walk with Wick is good for training? Does that fit what I'm looking for? What about The Longwalkers? Or Slash Ranch Hounds? or are those more story type books?

Thanks a bunch for the info!
-Hound
Spanky
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Hound books - Stories, training and techniques

Postby Spanky » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:02 am

well you were right in what you said in your last paragraph, walk with wicks is a training book and its trainng a hound a-z on the basics. There are no so called training books for big game. The other books you mentioned are excellent reads for big game but there are many more after those. The Longwalkers I would not rate as high as many of the others that area available. I have a collection of Obe Corey books for which I enjoyed. Life and times of the Greatest guide was excellent. As for training you may pick up some tips here and their through reading but nothing can compare to actual experience.
Scott Sciaretta

Groom Creek Kennels
www.Hounddawgs.net
Cedar Creek Outfitters
www.Cedarcreekmt.com

Leave it in the tree if you want to run another day!!!

houndcrzy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby houndcrzy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:23 am

I REALLY enjoyed The Long Walkers and Slash Ranch hounds, and for different reasons! However if your after a trainin' book I dont think your "barkin up the right tree" with those two. There straight stories about huntin' hounds, and damn good ones I thought! But not a whole bunch of training detail. :D
The fascination of hunting cougar with hounds lies in the discovery and unravelling of a complicated trail, watching an honest hound strike out on a track that has been found and read, and finally bringing the animal to bay so that you can see it for yourself---Jerry A. Lewis
kurt betournay
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby kurt betournay » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:36 am

Try Meet Mr. Grizzly, by Montague Stevens,,,,,,,,,,,,,lotsa good stories , but lotsa tips and information on scent and hounds,,,,,one of the best and i got the rest,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,almost

Return to “Books/Video Reviews”