Idaho Bear Hunters Need your Help!!!!!!!

Talk about Bear Hunting
T.Hunt
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Idaho Bear Hunters Need your Help!!!!!!!

Postby T.Hunt » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Please go to https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/content/w ... me-seasons

The proposals for unit 22 are actually for 2 units.22 and 31. They are proposing to shorten the amount of time we can run dogs by two weeks in these two units. Last year they extended the front side of the season, allowing hunters who have drawn the tags to hunt private land only from August 15th to September 1st. Aside from the fact it nears a hundred degrees this time of year, this is great opportunity for the guys that have private land to hunt. For those of us who do not, it decreases our time by half. The supposed reason for this proposal is conflict between houndsmen and archery hunters. The Idaho houndsmen association attended a meeting with fish and game and the local archery clubs on January 6th of this year. We were informed of the possibility of this being brought up, and were there to fight it. It was never brought up that night so we thought we were in the clear on this. Obviously there has been discussions behind our backs on this matter.
The next proposal effecting us is unit 32 and 32a. They are proposing to split the tags up in the unit. Now there are 100 tags, if you acquire one of these coveted tags you can hunt either unit. The majority of public land hunt-able with dogs however is in unit 32a. If they split the tags to 50 per unit they will decrease houndsmen opportunity.

Blake Fischer is our new commisioner for the southwest region, he claims to be a houndsmen himself. Please send an email to him stating you oppose the new proposals. [blake.fischer@idfg.idaho.gov]
You can also add your comments to the fish and game proposals page.

Here is the address and phone number to the southwest regional office. Please call and tell them you disapprove. Charlie Justice is the head conservation officer.

Regional Office
3101 S. Powerline Rd.
Nampa, ID 83686
(208) 465-8465

This effects us all, nonresidents as well. This is a stepping stone for fish and game. I can assure you if this passes, they will continue to cut us out in the future.
IDAHO HOUNDSMEN ASSOCIATION
PRESIDENT: TIM HUNT
PHONE: (208) 850-7192
E-MAIL: tim@giantproduce.com
Plotts
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Idaho Bear Hunters Need your Help!!!!!!!

Postby Plotts » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:23 pm

I appreciate your attention to this matter. It also effects hunters in 66a and 76, as they have proposed 2 weeks of dogs prohibited to reduce conflicts with Archery hunters as well.
This seems to be a new trend for the dept.

I have submitted comments both online to the F&G and to Commissioners Fischer and Clezie.

It is easy to do and just takes a moment of time well spent. Please join the Idaho Houndsmen' Association effort. Thanks Tim for bringing this to our attention.

Kevin Hall
T.Hunt
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby T.Hunt » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:49 pm

Kevin,
Thank you for taking action. I will post names and contact information of the biologists responsible for these proposals in the southwest region later this afternoon. I have been in contact with Matt and we have briefly discussed the matters for both sides of the state. You guys have our full support on the units you mentioned. I will send a letter for Matt to use stating we (IHA) completely disagree with any changes that reduce opportunity for any houndsmen in the State of Idaho.
T.Hunt
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby T.Hunt » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:51 pm

February 17th 2015
Dear membership,
It has been brought to the Idaho Houndsmen Association’s (IHA) attention that the Idaho Department of Fish and Game is proposing to change our fall bear seasons in units 22, 31, 32, and 32a. The first proposal is to add 25 tags to unit 22/31. They are also proposing to shorten the time we can run hounds in these units by two weeks. The so called reasoning for this proposal is they are trying to ease hound hunter/ bow hunter altercations. Houndsmen have already been limited to half the bear season in these units. The Fish and game’s reasoning for splitting units 32 and 32a are to disperse the hound hunters.
We as houndsmen must make a stand now! Below are the names and contact information of the people we need to write emails to and call. It is of the utmost importance each and everyone call, and write the individuals who are responsible for these proposals and get it stopped now.
Regan Berkly- Regional wildlife biologist regan.berkly@idfg.idaho.gov (208) 634-8137
Scott Reinecker- biologist scott.reineker@idfg.idaho.gov (208) 465-8465
Jon Racheal wildlife manager for the state of Idaho jon.racheal@idfg.idaho.gov. (208) 334-2920
Here are some key talking points to include
Units 22 and 31
• Fish and Game are favoring one sportsmen group over another
• Chances of harvesting mature boars 5 years and older( which is in fish and game’s objectives in the statewide bear report)
• Adding more tags in a smaller window of time will create more congestion
• Less opportunity for houndsmen
• The last two weeks of the season are prime: better chance of meat recovery in the cooler temps
• Early season private property only applies to a small percentage of houndsmen
Units 32 and 32a
• The proposed unit change will create conflict with landowners in the northern part of the unit
• Changes will create conflict with archery hunters in the northern part of the unit
• Loss of opportunity for houndsmen
• Creates more congestion with other houndsmen in northern part of unit due to private property

Again, please contact the above biologists, and let them know we do not support these proposals!
LBell
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby LBell » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:57 pm

Is this something that you could do a petition type deal on and gather signatures to present to them? A lot of the guys I work with and know won't call or email but if its explained to them they'll sign in support. Just a thought.
Plotts
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Plotts » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:35 pm

Those talking points are excellent and I might add a couple more:

1. I spoke just now with Tad Sherman, President of the Idaho State Bowhunters and asked him if thier organization was pushing for this. He assured me "absolutely not"!!! The ISB is the largest bow hunting group in the state and the push is NOT coming from them. So it appears that the F&G is trying to solve a problem that does not exist.

2. 1n 1996 all sportsmen in the state stood together to form the Idaho Sportsman's Heritage Defense Fund, and we all fought to keep politics out of game management. This trust between groups has not changed. It is the F&G that is trying to pit one group against another.
T.Hunt
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby T.Hunt » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:25 pm

We also have talked with Tad. For the last year we have been working with Tad to form an alliance with the ISB. Tad has brought some great information to us, and also has assured us he is on our side in this matter. The ISB is all about opportunity, and obviously this falls into a loss of.
We also have been in contact with our commissioner, he seems to agree with us on this matter as well. We are going to attend all three open house meetings, and the public hearing on the 23rd of March. Hopefully like last year we can stop it before it even goes to decision. The biologists that recommended these proposals need the pressure right now. I want them to think twice before they propose decreasing opportunity for any sportsmen group.
T.Hunt
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby T.Hunt » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:52 pm

Dennis Fisher
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Dennis Fisher » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:39 pm

Been a while since I've said this, but once again I can say I'm proud to be a member of the IHA. I got a call about his last night myself. Sounds like to me you guys have all "the clips loaded and are ready to go to war" for our sport once again. Good job guys! And good Organization and Leadership Tim!

We've lost a lot in those areas in the last 10 or 15 years already. Without a tag you can't pursue there in the fall anymore. They opened up the controlled hunt to the incidental's (elk and deer hunters), so we lost all those tags. On and on. Hunting what was once known as the "bear study area" just ain't the same anymore.

May I suggest something that many in the State may not like, many will. First, keep up what you doing to stop this now, then, if it works, the following isn't needed. Next, come up with a plan B. Obviously this had made it through the in-house part of the F&G and it has their approval. So, like Tim said, we got to stop it at the Commissioners level.

I understand you have talked with the Nampa Bowcheifs and they support us. I'm a firm believer that a good offense is the best defense. But the same is true if that were turned around. This is just one thought, I'm sure there's many more out there. But for example, could Plan B simply to be a trade off. Personally, they can have their Trophy Bull hunt in Unit 31. There's so many archers in there nobody wants to run there anymore. But in doing so what do we get in return??? Maybe a Unit where we don't have to put up with archers. Maybe some of those tags, both the new proposed one's and some of those we lost already, that could be used during the pursuit season. Maybe we can get pursuit back for the fall. Maybe we could get some wording so we don't have to fight this again. I have no doubt you guys and gals will and can think of several more things we could gain something with with this too.

Those are just "fuel for thought" guys. And here' another; is this a issue you can risk it all on? Or one where you try to get out of as best you can. Or maybe even turn it around so you "come out smelling like a Rose".

When a user group presents a proposal, backed by the other users groups of the same resource. The Commission will definitely listen to that. To be exact, if we had one, they'd throw this right back in those biologists faces. (It's simple politics. The user groups are the voters. And when you have the "power" of multiple user groups, you have power far above that of the biologists) If this gets past the Commission, it's lost. We don't stand a chance of getting the legislator to overturn the F&G Commission. (Uncle Butch has always been on our side, he might be able to help ensure all user groups are treated equally). But anyways, what you doing now just may stop this. All I'm suggesting is, if this issue is REALLY that important, don't put "all your eggs in one basket".

What I'm personally a think'n is, let's not only stop this, but what can we do to turn this around to make it be one that works and enhances our sport too. It is possible, especially when this club already has many left that still know how to do it. And so many willing to do what's necessary, not only save our sport, but to enhance it.

Once again, great job Guys and Gals!
Catch
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Catch » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:58 pm

Word of this change has been out for some time. T. Hunt thank you for being on top of this and investigating where the changes are coming. I have been in touch with the McCall office and understand all sides of the issues that merit change. This issues cannot be houndsman against bow hunters or us against them. Getting your clips loaded to go to war isn't going to solve zip. We as hunters be it by hounds, bows, rifle or any other method need to be in favor of all hunters to enjoy what we do. In doing so all hunters will get equal time in the woods with the least amount of pressure. I was born and raised in Idaho, when growing up Idaho had half the population. By the time my boy has a son to hunt with, there will be twice as many more people as there are to date. All groups need to work together and find equal opportunity for all.
hounddude
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby hounddude » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:44 pm

Here is the proposal I sent in to the Fish & Game.

I think you should not punish people that have drawn a very hard bear draw in favor of an open archery hunt! I suggest either a draw archery hunt with the same dates for both groups as in the past or, Give bear hound hunters the last week of August & first two weeks of September with no archery hunting during this period. Then let archery hunters have the last two weeks of September & first week of October with no hound hunting during this time, while starting the draw rifle hunt after the close of the archery season. Seems like an easy fix if you think out side the box!
heybearwalker
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby heybearwalker » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:22 pm

Here's a link to the comment section on the F&G "alternate" proposals. Anyone from anywhere can comment so get in there and let them know what you want. I noticed the comment period ends this Sunday the 8th at midnight, not much time for comment. Option two looks good and I would not count option three as a loss either. They probably already have their minds made up unless they get flooded with comments to the contrary.

https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/content/w ... nt-area-22
T.Hunt
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby T.Hunt » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:08 pm

We have been successful in this venture. The commissioners listened to our concerns, and rather than losing ground, we actually gained a youth hunt with the use of hounds. It would be great for the commissioners to hear a big thank you, from everyone. The commissioners hear our complaints, but rarely get the credit they deserve for volunteering their time to our wildlife, and us as sportsmen. Below are our state commissioners and their Email.

Blake Fischer- blake.fischer@idfg.idaho.gov
Fred Trevey- fred.trevey@idfg.idaho.gov
Brad Corkhill- bradcorkill@whitemanlumber.com
Mark Doerr- mark.doerr@idfg.idaho.gov
Lane Clezie- lane.clezie@idfg.idaho.gov
Kenny Anderson- kented100@gmail.com
Will Nailon- willnaillon@gmail.com
LBell
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby LBell » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:05 pm

So everything stayed as is and they did the youth hunt? That's great you guys are doing a great job thanks.

Return to “Bear Hunting”