the .243 rifle and its load

Talk about Bear Hunting
JonBailey64
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:23 pm
Location: ID
Facebook ID: 0

the .243 rifle and its load

Postby JonBailey64 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:26 am

I would think this would be a great black bear (or lion) cartridge.

Not too powerful so as to damage the pelt for a good rug.

Not a whole lot of kick but a well-placed shot should do.

Is this gun still powerful enough to saw off a limb to get a stuck "Smokey" down from a tree top?

Will the guide usually have a big-bore rifle for this task?
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Posts: 2762
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: New Mexico
Location: Somewhere out there

Re: the .243 rifle and its load

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:00 pm

Never seen a guide carry a rifle to dislodge a stuck animal but I suppose it could happen. 45-70 Marlin Guide gun might be good for that. LOL!

243 is fine for what you explained and it is a sweetheart to shoot. You can get a Model 7 Remington that is light and short and in synthetic makes a good little rough country rifle for many uses. Those little Savages would work fine too.

Lots of good load information out there for the 243, we like the 80 Gr. TTSX Barnes bullet we handload but Vortex ammo can be bought with it. My wife has used this combo on mule deer, cow elk, and with a well placed shot it does the trick. Lion and black bear up close it would be dynamite. One hole in one hole out.

We generally don't encourage the use of 6MM's for game larger than deer, but if you don't stretch your shot and can place it this load will do some pretty big things.

Equip your 243 with a good quality low power scope, in a solid two piece mount or a PC rail and it will take a lot of abuse.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
JonBailey64
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:23 pm
Location: ID
Facebook ID: 0

Re: the .243 rifle and its load

Postby JonBailey64 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Mike Leonard wrote:Never seen a guide carry a rifle to dislodge a stuck animal but I suppose it could happen. 45-70 Marlin Guide gun might be good for that. LOL!

243 is fine for what you explained and it is a sweetheart to shoot. You can get a Model 7 Remington that is light and short and in synthetic makes a good little rough country rifle for many uses. Those little Savages would work fine too.

Lots of good load information out there for the 243, we like the 80 Gr. TTSX Barnes bullet we handload but Vortex ammo can be bought with it. My wife has used this combo on mule deer, cow elk, and with a well placed shot it does the trick. Lion and black bear up close it would be dynamite. One hole in one hole out.

We generally don't encourage the use of 6MM's for game larger than deer, but if you don't stretch your shot and can place it this load will do some pretty big things.

Equip your 243 with a good quality low power scope, in a solid two piece mount or a PC rail and it will take a lot of abuse.


I have my heart set on a Weatherby Vanguard Weatherguard in .243. Always a Leupold gold-ring scope for me with proper mounts but I need a variable-power glass sight that will work for medium-to-long-range varmints as well as close-to-medium-range deer and short-range critters as blackies up in a tree. I don't want to spend money on multiple scopes and rifles for multiple animal species. The venerable easy-shooting-flat-shooting .243 Winchester is an old-fashioned American do-it-all caliber for American hunting.

I want the correct .243 Vanguard/Leupold/load combo that will work for open-field chucks, coyotes and ground squirrels, whitetail deer in the forest and bears in the tree.
Pnwhunter
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:35 pm
Location: Oregon
Facebook ID: 0

Re: the .243 rifle and its load

Postby Pnwhunter » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:49 pm

At the price point , take a look at Tikka t3. Also, that would keep you away from weatherby ammo too.
They are made with same hammer forged barrell and same action as sakko rifles.
I Archery hunt but bought oldest daughter one in 270 two days later I bought one in 300wm for myself
I've been very Happy with purchase
JonBailey64
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:23 pm
Location: ID
Facebook ID: 0

Re: the .243 rifle and its load

Postby JonBailey64 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:02 pm

Pnwhunter wrote:At the price point , take a look at Tikka t3. Also, that would keep you away from weatherby ammo too.
They are made with same hammer forged barrell and same action as sakko rifles.
I Archery hunt but bought oldest daughter one in 270 two days later I bought one in 300wm for myself
I've been very Happy with purchase


A Weatherby rifle in .243 doesn't need to fire Weatherby brand ammo. For boxed ammo, Federal brand is my favorite. Weatherby Vanguard Weatherguard sounds more elegant than Tikka. Weatherby has always had a reputation for slick, racy bolt rifles with nice checkered walnut Monte Carlo stocks and smooth fluted-bolt actions.
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:32 am
Location: NE Nevada
Facebook ID: 0

Re: the .243 rifle and its load

Postby rockytrails » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:27 pm

Take a look at CZ 527 bolt action with set trigger. You might change your mind. Not to argue.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Posts: 2271
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: North Dakota

Re: the .243 rifle and its load

Postby david » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:29 am

rockytrails wrote:Take a look at CZ 527 bolt action with set trigger. You might change your mind. Not to argue.


Česká zbrojovka Uherský Brod.

In Washington, you can’t own a gun you can’t pronounce the name of. Not sure about Idaho.
That’s the second thing they ask you for in Washington. “OK sir, pronounce the brand name of your rifle”. If you can’t do it, it’s a felony. You won’t be seeing the light of day for a LLLONNNNGG Time.

I sure like my Thompson Center “Dimension”
243 WIN. Because it’s so easy to pronounce.

You can change out your own barrels for
22-250 REM, 243 WIN, 7mm-08 REM, 308 WIN

I chose the same scope you did though Jon.

I doubt I could saw off a limb with it though, because you probably have to be able to hit the same general area more than once. (Not blaming the gun or the scope lol). :beer


I have learned this much: sight in your 243 for every different ammo you plan to use. And if you switch ammo sight it in again; Or memorize a couple different weights/types and memorize the compensation.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:35 pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Ione Ca.(209)

Re: the .243 rifle and its load

Postby Jeff Eberle » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:30 am

Well I’m going in a different route, Mossberg will no longer supply Dicks sporting goods any more of their gun due to dicks new lobbyists. Hard not to back a company That takes a stand like that. At least for me it is. Going to give a Mossberg Patriot a try. As for bear and lion I’ve got a 30-30 it’s not very elegant but doubles as a walking stick part time and has never let me down even when i don’t have time for the perfect shot placement in thick brush on a bay up.
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Posts: 2271
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: North Dakota

Re: the .243 rifle and its load

Postby david » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:42 am

Glad to hear about Mossberg taking a stand.
I agree, We should support Mossberg. And I hope their added sales will make up for any missed sales from that place you and I and Mossberg won’t support.
raisinriver
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 5:54 pm
Location: ontario canada

Re: the .243 rifle and its load

Postby raisinriver » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:40 am

.243 is the go to in our hunting group I have an old Husqvarna husky and a new Thompson centre predator. I would not want to count the amount of coyotes and bears that I have taken with the old husky I use 58 grain hornady for coyotes and 95 grain silver tip for bears both factory ammo



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mike gagne
raisinriver redbones
martintown ontario
canada (613)528-7556
JonBailey64
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:23 pm
Location: ID
Facebook ID: 0

Re: the .243 rifle and its load

Postby JonBailey64 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:12 pm

david wrote:
rockytrails wrote:Take a look at CZ 527 bolt action with set trigger. You might change your mind. Not to argue.


Česká zbrojovka Uherský Brod.

In Washington, you can’t own a gun you can’t pronounce the name of. Not sure about Idaho.
That’s the second thing they ask you for in Washington. “OK sir, pronounce the brand name of your rifle”. If you can’t do it, it’s a felony. You won’t be seeing the light of day for a LLLONNNNGG Time.

I sure like my Thompson Center “Dimension”
243 WIN. Because it’s so easy to pronounce.

You can change out your own barrels for
22-250 REM, 243 WIN, 7mm-08 REM, 308 WIN

I chose the same scope you did though Jon.

I doubt I could saw off a limb with it though, because you probably have to be able to hit the same general area more than once. (Not blaming the gun or the scope lol). :beer


I have learned this much: sight in your 243 for every different ammo you plan to use. And if you switch ammo sight it in again; Or memorize a couple different weights/types and memorize the compensation.



I would sight in for various game and ammo as various game will presented at various ranges.

Instead of memorizing compensations, I would have them all neatly written down in my gun case for the various loadings. I would still always check zero right before every hunt at the local rifle range to double check. Weatherby Vanguard Weatherguard TWO-FORTY-THREE WINCHESTER rings nicely in my American ears.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Posts: 2762
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: New Mexico
Location: Somewhere out there

Re: the .243 rifle and its load

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:34 pm

The 243 is truly an American creation debuting just 3 years after it's parent case the 308 Winchester was premiered in 1952. 1955 saw the unveiling of 2 6MM cartridges the still popular 243 Winchester and the now obsolete 244 Remington. Both great designs that get some of their early promotion form early Sport Afield Shooting Editor Warren Page and famous RCBS Executive Fred Huntington.
Their experimentation with wildcat 6MM's such as the Page Super Pooper led them to promote these to the arms manufacturing giants of Remington and Winchester. Winchesters Engineers, a crafty lot saw a market for a dual purpose deer/varmint round and wisely chose a 1-10 twist barrel for their Model 70 featherweight. While Remington felt they had that notch already filled with their long heralded 257 Remington Roberts, so they hung a long 26" barrel 1-12 twist on the 244 which used the parent case of the 7x57 Mauser the same as the Roberts. The slow 1-12 twist was fine with varmint bullets up 90 Grs. but failed to stabilize longer 100 gr and above big game bullets. Also the 244 was in a rather drab looking rifle the Model 722 which was not as slick as the model 70. A fine old gun which later led to the model 700, but plain in comparison.

The 243 took off like a rocket but the 244 lagged far behind, not because of it's performance because with a slightly larger case a good 100 plus feet a second could be gained with it, but perception is everything. Later Remington seeing the error of their decision came out with the same cartridge in rifles with a 1-10 twist and called it the 6MM Remington, but it was too late to repair the damage.

I own and love both and have killed a great many game animals and varmints with each. The did lead to the nearly antique status of the fine 257 Roberts which was the rifle I used to kill my first mule deer so many years ago now.

With today's bullets and propellants the scope of the 6MM's use is greater than it was when it came out.

The 243 Winchester is truly an American success story.


The Weatherby Vanguard is a fine rifle, no doubt. The Howa action they use for this model is a sound design but it is made by Howa of Japan, and has been used in many other brands of rifles as well. The fine Smith and Wesson bolt actions for example.

Good luck and good shooting!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............

Return to “Bear Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests