dog sled

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.
wyoutfitter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

dog sled

Postby wyoutfitter » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:08 pm

Hey I'm looking for a sled, or sleigh, that I can pull behind a snowmobile and can fit two or three dogs. I saw and older post on some good ideas for building your own, i was just curious if anybody had one they wanted to sell. Thanks!
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: dog sled

Postby FullCryHounds » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:08 pm

I have one on skis that I've used for years. But the ones on skis have some drawbacks. I built mine with a spring loaded tongue and the skis the same width as the skis on my sled. Even doing all this, I have tipped mine over several times. The ones some guys have posted on here that seem to work better are the black plastic sleds that ride right on the snow. They are the same things that Ice Shelters use for ice fishing to haul all your gear out on the ice. I saw one a few weeks ago that the guy used half inch conduit pieces about 6 feet long and attached each of those to the front of the sled then on to the back of the sled. Very easy and cheap to make too.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Steve White » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:22 pm

We have tried the plastic sled thing a few times. Otter sled work the best, but they are still very tippy on any uneven ground. The best we have used is from a dog sled frame. Was ready to put outrigger skies on if needed. Have not tipped it once though.

Here is a pic. Sorry, not for sale but another idea for you.

Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
http://www.whiteswoodsandwaters.com
steve@whiteswoodsandwaters.com
715-892-0032
cat and bear
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cat and bear » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Here is what i have used for the last ten years, It doesnt tip, but its 36 inches wide, it pulls easy, and floats if your around rivers, and it breaks through, which i learned a few years ago. The center of gravity is low, I've put six dogs in it, and in this flat country, pull it with a tundra. I love it.
Attachments
s2 [640x480].JPG
wyoutfitter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby wyoutfitter » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:47 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys. I've been told that the otter sleds work good, especially if you can get ahold of two and put them togtether, kinda like cat and bear's photo. I can't believe you've fit 6 dogs in there, that's awesome!

Hey fullcry, what was the conduit pieces used for?

Return to “Kennels and Dog Boxes”