Terrier hound cross

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
beardog sam

Terrier hound cross

Postby beardog sam » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:44 pm

Have any of you guys tried a terrier hound cross. Jack Russell ,Jag or any other kind. What were they like. I've got a buddy that says they are the real deal.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Terrier hound cross

Postby david » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:06 am

I know of two hound/terrier hybrid crosses that became well known as bobcat dogs. I hunted with one of them and watched him cold trail on the run, on a track the full hounds could not seem to carry. They were running him, and not the bobcat track in my opinion. (Another mystery. If cold trailing has as much to do with desire as nose, it would be easy to understand it. I don't know of any dogs with more desire than terriers.)

The terrier in this case was an Irish terrier. In the other case, which I never saw, the terrier was a jagd. In both cases the hound was treeing walker.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:18 am

I seen a litter of 4 females years ago that would amaze just about anybody. They were 1/4 walker 1/4 cur and half Noodle Susie bred patterdale. You cannot believe the speed and intensity with which these gyps caught game. It was outstanding.
RezDogRendezvous
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby RezDogRendezvous » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:49 pm

I'm a fan of the airedale and walkers. I got the chance to get one last year and I jumped all over it. They were 4 months old. Got 2. Both females. One is just our family dog who absolutely hates me and will only listen to women and kids. The other is a hunting fool. She was actually my 2nd pick of the 2. But since the other one decided to run to the house instead of jumping in the truck one day when going hunting I stuck to the 2nd. She's a quarter airedale a quarter pit and half walker.
I've heard of others having good luck with them. And since I grew up with the airedales I figured I might as well try one. We had a few while I was growing up that were crossed with border collie that I think we're some of the better all around ranch working dogs I've ever had. From the all day cow and horse rides and runs. To chasing bear and coyotes when we crossed them. To working cows and running off the stray dogs and coyotes that chased the calves and chickens.
The female I hunt now seems to have a lot of the same attributes. She acts like a hound more than I like lol. I like the stiff legged bouncing and open mouth and goof attitude of the airedale. She is super gamey, gritty (not just aggressive until she gets hit) fast, good nose, smart, with way tougher hide than my straight hounds. I had her and 3 of my hounds get into a tight cave with a lion this winter and the terrier was the last one I pulled out. They were all cut up, her being the least expensive at the vet. Anyway, I'm a definate fan and wouldn't mind having a few more.
HOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby HOGMAN » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:28 pm

I wonder how good a jagdterrier and a walker would do on a hog? I don't want to have really gritty dogs, iw want mine to bay! But I definitely would be interested in trying this! Ive got 1 jagd . Just don't have a walker!
Samuel Boutwell
601-757-1122
"There's two types of hounds, one follow hog's, one catches them"!
Run to Catch Hounds- Brookhaven, MS
Josh Kunde
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Josh Kunde » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:00 am

I've got a patterdale x hound. Only about 3 months now. We will see how he does this year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Tracker06
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Tracker06 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:12 pm

Friends got a fox terrier x hound and its the fastest dog on a pig right now. We crossed him with coonhound and I got 2pups still very young but have personality of hound fight of terrier. Got 3to sell if any body keen.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:57 pm

Fox terrier x hound. Same as the oklahoma cat dog I witnessed probably 15 years ago now. Still have this image of him floating along effortlessly on this cold track and all the other dogs trying their darndest just to keep him in sight.

I see you are in South Africa though. Lol.
I'll be right over. :)
Tracker06
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Tracker06 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:41 am

Ja what I really enjoy about him is his ability to move in the thick stuff. He yet to have a slice taken from him.
Liz ODell
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Liz ODell » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:56 pm

I'm getting a July x Jag here shortly, the grand experiment...
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:33 pm

Sounds exciting Liz. "Variety is the spice of life". Looks like you are opening up the spice drawer. Please let us know how it goes.

How did you find that pup?
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:15 pm

I had 2 that were 1/4 Airedale and 3/4 hound.. their daddy the hound came from Riley Miller.. slow starters and awful voices to listen too but made good lion hounds and even had a good nose for this desert country .. really wanted to catch..
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Rick Anderson
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Rick Anderson » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:12 am

Just had a litter of Plott/Airedale pups born yesterday. First time cross, I had an Airedale/Stag cross dog I really liked on bear. Thought I would try this. May have some extra pups to sell, see what kind of a mother the Airedale is. I plan on using them on bear and bobcats.
Rick
Liz ODell
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Liz ODell » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:47 pm

I have no idea why these turned out sideways and I'm just leaving them.
Anyway this is mine, he's 3 months old, 1/2 July x 1/2 Jagdterrier, he's a little bigger than I thought he would be for his age, will see how big he fully turns out I'm not a real fan of big dogs but he sure is a neat little guy so far, great personality.

Rshcwisdom
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rshcwisdom » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:46 am

Liz he is a good looking dog. Very interested to hear how it turns out and if he will tree.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”