11 month old pup wont bark on caged coon

Talk about Coon Hunting
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: 11 month old pup wont bark on caged coon

Postby david » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:17 pm

Isaiah, another memory came to me of a mix bred dog I had that actually was probably the smartest bobcat dog I have ever closely and personally known:

There was a time in her youth when it seemed like everything she had gained, she lost. It was like she just lost desire to do it or something. In frustration, I just quit working with her. I don't remember how long, but might have been a couple months or more. In effect it seems to have been the "put her away and let her think about it" on steroids. Because when I started working her again she very quickly became probably the best solo cat catcher I have known closely.

So what I am saying is tagging on what has already been said: work your dog as long as it shows heart and desire for the job. If He does not show desire, I suggest you don't push him, but do exactly the opposite. "Reverse Psycology". Take away the opportunity until he appreciates the opportunity.

There are other dogs I have owned that I "layed up" out of frustration, who also came on later to make good dogs.

Oh and I just thought of another one that is an embarrassment and testimony to my stupidity. I had a young mixed bred pup that even as a puppy showed me intelligence. Like, her brother and her would chase each other but she was smaller and could not catch him. She would establish a pattern of his escape, and then hide and wait for him to make his loop and ambush him. I thought: "cat dog deluxe". Well I worked her on a real hot day and in that one day completely removed all desire to hunt. I did just what I am telling you not to do. I pushed her beyond her desires and ruined her in one day.

But she was such a delightful little dog, I knew some one would absolutely love her as a pet. Well some folks in my church fell in love with her, and she became the mascot and centerpiece for that family. They had story after story of her human-like intelligence. Only problem they had was: when she wanted to go hunting, she found a way to go. They would have to find her treed on a squirrel, coon or barn cat somewhere. And if she wanted in the tree with the critter, she figured out a way to get there.

I thought she was destroyed, but really she just needed time to mature and get past the over-exposure I gave her.
Last edited by david on Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Jeff Eberle » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:44 pm

pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:56 pm

Maybe some guys mean something a little different or not. But on some dogs overtraining can be a issue like they say. But there's another way it can be a issue .
1. Is boring or over exposing a smart dog.
2. Is knowingly or accidentally trading the dog in ways that hamper the dogs effectiveness. Most hounds never have this problem. The closest thing being to hard handed with them.
But some dogs will follow your rules even if they don't exactly make sense in catching game. This is mostly for the more intelligent curs some birddog crosses, and those that have cattledog in them. Especially the more sensitive breeds. The upside is they will unlearn behaviors if you encourage it pretty easy . that is if you realize that's what and why they're doing it. I sometimes find myself not being so formal in my hound training like I should be. And still a bit repetitive for the cow dog type mind.
tapeworm

Postby tapeworm » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:09 pm

I know 3,4,5 yr old that wont bark at cage coons, these are top hounds, some will some wont.

Return to “Coon Hunting”