Bobcat dogs

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Bobcat dogs

Postby merlo_105 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:46 pm

There has been a lot of talk about what a Bobcat dog is or what a Bobcat pack is. So what is it? What make's a Bobcat dog a Bobcat dog.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Bobcat dogs

Postby mark » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:03 pm

Its been beat to death but hell, let the good times roll! Lmao
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby pegleg » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:11 pm

It catches enough cats a cat junky feels justified in his addiction. I'd say any dog that actually prefers bobcat is either a cat dog or whish it was. And that's good enough to start with. My very best cat dogs have preferred them from a early age and often just seemed attracted to them. I had a female that was a pretty decent cat dog alone or not and she adopted a house cat. Granted it was a unusual relationship. She would hold it down and lick it for long periods of time and was possessive of it to the point I only let her play with it away from other dogs. Granted most of them wanted to eat it and I was never sure she wouldn't. I don't think numbers of cats caught really make a dog a cat dog or not. Some areas you just don't have the numbers but they still manage to catch a few a week. Then some dogs accidentally tree a cat once in awhile out hunting other game. We sometimes need to step back and look at how the oldtimers did it. You let a dog hunt and it will show you what its made of. Yes there's a lot of work that should be done in the breeding and handling dept but it always comes back to what happens out hunting. I rather a dog convince me its a cat dog then try to convince it that's what it is.
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:39 am

I'd like to hear the true story on this also as have read where its been said it will need to be explained what a true cat dog or cat pack really is as most have never witnessed it! Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:29 am

Why does the credit always go to the bobcat dog?
I had a very good point brought to my attention recently while discussing bobcat hounds and performance. [Quote "You ever notice the guy who doesn't own a top notch bobcat hound that understands the game and works real hard at it, manages to continue to tree bobcats?"]

This topic hasn't been beat to death.

How much of a role does the man behind the hounds play in the ultimate success of a bobcat dog or bobcat pack?
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Mike, your memory is fading ol buddy! Lol go back through some old topics on here and you will find this same discussion a couple times. At least

A cat dog/dogs will find you catching yourself rooting for the cat most of the time.
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:03 pm

Mark

I'm only here when my dogs are resting...As for me, I lost it long ago...Got my mutts in pretty good shape...Think I will abandon this hi tech puter stuff where a guy can go back in the archives and call bull and load up and do a road trip and see how catching something, anything really works out, right now I need life zervers for the dogs because they ain't swim dogs....Maybe then I can do something unprecedented and repeated over and over on BGH and that's start a dementia stages of old hounddoggers thread!
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:05 pm

I agree this topic has been beat to death but have read from time to time that a lot of us( need to know the real definition of a cat dog.) But has never been written. Would just like to hear it. Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:16 pm

You have to read between the lines Andy it is all written down in here in some form throughout the years. I still dont own one myself but i am getting it narrowed down to where if i live another 237 years i will have me one im sure!
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:39 pm

Does it really matter what someone else's definition of a cat dog is?Its probably a little different for each of us .The only thing we might agree on is that they have to tree cats.MY dogs have to meet MY expectations to stay here ! As i've said in other posts it doesn't matter how good your dogs are some people will not like them.All that matters is that you do!
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:44 pm

No doubt this has been pounded out. I started this for the reason which Andy is thinking. I have no idea what a good dog is hell I have a few dogs that don't tree, so that's the squirts guess they'll never be good dogs.
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:45 pm

Most of us understand that 1bludawg, Some others have there thoughts so just wanted to hear what they were.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:35 pm

It seems the real cat dog or pack of dogs is one that never over runs a cat track, so, I doubt if they exist. However, if one catches enough to please the owner, while running cat only, to me, that is a cat dog. The number of cat caught depends on the type cats one runs, cat population, terrain, time hunter has to hunt & other factors in my opinion. Al
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:42 pm

merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:25 pm

Well Mark good thing I learned a little since then. I still have two of them Blue ticks no Red bone. One July, 4 running cross dog's. I was told a long time ago from a successful hunter cats are easy to catch, get yourself a start dog a trail dog and a tree dog. And you'll see Cat. That's all I have done and I'm happy with the dog's I have. None are super dog's. I use my other dog's to train the dog's where I use to do more I do less. But also I still single them out when needed and work out bug's. My chore at hand will be getting this July treeing and from what I can see now ain't going to be tough. Thank's to her breeding. I don't worry about if one dog can catch a cat on it's own anymore I'm more into if each one can contribute somewhere to make a Cat clime.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”