What to do in off season

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
whitedog

Re: What to do in off season

Postby whitedog » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:33 pm

NYcoyotehounds. I use to have 2 packs of hounds and you could say I still do, I use tohave bout 5 good crogan breed running dogs and they had grit. one day I got froggy and dumped them on a jumped bear, 3 of the males ran the legs off the bear and as soon as that bear climbed up the tree, them running dogs was found couple miles away running a yote. but now days I run every thing I have on yotes. now big bears to runn any more and if I get a yote race bear hunting I just load the shotgun and have fun, I all ways liked running on bare ground, scenting is way better I think, I am a fan of dry ground running, but I do like looking for tracks on the snow, dont have to drag roads to look for tracks, but again scenting is just so much better on dry ground. least all the hounds I have ever owned seem to run way better on dry ground. but to each his own. if a man wants 2 or 3 packs of hounds who cares. cause a man can buy dog food by the truck load LOL
NYCOYOTEHOUNDS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby NYCOYOTEHOUNDS » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:59 am

Makes it alot easier to dump on a track. We have some pretty big woods. Sometimes it takes a few hours freecasting to find one.
Hounder-
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Hounder- » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:43 am

Hankster, sorry, forgot to reply.

Although your questions look like they got answered.

Basically, same answers as Mondo from me. Same dogs on cats, yotes, and bears. Yes, I do "trash" out on off game on occasion, probably 2-3 times a season. To me its worth it being able to use the dogs most of the year. As far as time to train? Yes, takes time. After obedience training it is basically repetition (aka hunt the dog lots and lots). Which the hunting part is the fun part so time isn't a big issue with me :wink:

11k a year? It is expensive but that may be a bit high. Only uncontrollable variable is the vet bills really. Although I control it pretty well by running wussy dogs. The way I figure the cost : I love doing it, and if I wasn't doing it I would be into some other hobby, which could be even more expensive. Which is doubtful, but in my state of delusion it is all the reasoning I need.

Anyways, just another ramble from me. All just my random opinions, about as far from fact as one can get :lol:.
NYCOYOTEHOUNDS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby NYCOYOTEHOUNDS » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:33 am

I envy you guys that have the oppurtunity to run several different types of game.

Return to “Coyote Hunting”