UDWR LION STUDY 2013 YOUR OPINION???

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
black eye
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: UDWR LION STUDY 2013 YOUR OPINION???

Postby black eye » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:10 am

If you're not offending idiots, you might be an idiot.- Ted Nugent
$-sportsmen
F-for
W-wealthy
http://unitedwildlifecooperative.org
final step

Postby final step » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:55 pm

So if its guides and outfitters doing all the damage to your population to make a quick and easy buck why not go a different direction with your fight and go to your guide and outfitters board and get better restrictions on guiding and outfitting so that not every Tom dick and Harry can get a quick fist full of dollars.
black eye
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby black eye » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Final,
Good idea,but zero enforcement and everyone scabs off others use permits.
$-sportsmen
F-for
W-wealthy
Neff
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Neff » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Well most guys are out doing what is right and not shooting females. However the guides on the other hand are the ones killing the hell out of all the females. I know here where I live the guides have moved in with there California and Texas people and are killing everything they tree. Put the blame where it belongs on the guides and outfitters of central Utah. I personally know who has been killing the females. So when there are no cats next year send me a PM and I will give you the names of the guides I know are responsible for the female killing.
Dead Cats Don't Make Tracks.
Oldmanindeepsnow
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Oldmanindeepsnow » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:37 pm

Does anyone know if it is public knowledge on what the guides kill. Proving it is another matter.
Bplott
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Bplott » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:06 pm

To my knowledge all lions checked in just go under the tag holders name..... it would be nice if the outfitters are recorded also...definately something to look into
IF IT SQUATS TO PEE, LET IT BE....
bears@uha
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bears@uha » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:50 pm

altho everything has its pros and cons a big group of houndsman from sanpete county volenteered for the study on the southwest manti I think were headed in the right direction hopefully we can catch more bees with honey than the salt we been using
black eye
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby black eye » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:58 am

$-sportsmen
F-for
W-wealthy
BigGameHunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BigGameHunter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:57 pm

I can understand the concerns but those of us willing to participate in the study have said and continue to say that the lion numbers are in the dumps here. It's time to put our money where our mouths are so to speak. Rather that the division thinking that houndsmen are a bunch of complaining liars, we are willing to provide them the data to backup what we say is the case. I believe it gives us credibility. We have been saying it for several years and now they are allowing us to PROVE it. Will it backfire with the numbers? No. Why? because I hunt these areas as hard as anyone down here and guess what? The lion numbers really are in the dumps.

I agree that houndmen SHOULD be able to be taken at their word but I also understand why we are not all the time. We have an agenda, deer hunters have an agenda so both us and them have good reason to embelish our stories. Why does the division usually side with deer and elk numbers? Simple math. The fact of the matter is that we are a minority.

I choose to look at the positive side of this. We are gaining credability in part due to the organiation of the hound club. The fact that the division is even attempting this study is an indication of that. and i'm not saying that the hound club instigated this study, what I am saying is that they layed much of the groundwork to allow houndsmen to even be taken seriously.

and yes this is JMHO as well.....
cougar2
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby cougar2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:50 pm

I really don't have much faith in any government studies, they can make it look the way they want (just my opinion) but I think if we want to regulate lion numbers, it's up to us as hunters (the ones doing the harvesting) to closely keep track of the population (females and toms) as possible, we are the ones out there looking more than anyone else, but I think it's hard to get everyone on the same page, so I would say try to get the word out to as many hunters as possible, I personally know of some outfitters who are concerned and trying to make a difference, and they are out there trying to make a living, having a healthy lion population is there livelihood, but some don't look that far ahead, so maybe try to talk some sense into the ones you feel need it, not just the outfitters but all houndsmen, we are all in it together, just my thoughts, good luck and good hunting.

Return to “Lion Hunting”