Wolverine

General DiscussionForum
Vet Jon
Facebook ID: 0

Wolverine

Postby Vet Jon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:23 pm

Hello,
Do any of you have any wolverine stories for me?
Jon
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Wolverine

Postby dhostetler » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:10 am

The few times my dogs got on one they needed stitches and never got it up. Talk about a leave the country race.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:15 am

There was one killed in Alexander North Dakota last winter, which means nothing to you Jon, I am sure. But it is the only wolverine story I have. Lol. It is open plains country and not where one should be.

Actually I remember a wolverine story a guy told me when I was working at the beef packing plant lugging beef quarters onto refer trucks:

It was his grandpa in Alaska and a wolverine had been following his trap line and getting to his Martin before he could. He tried traps, a set gun, waiting for him, he tried everything to get the caricajou. Then one day he was walking a looped trap line and when he came back to his own tracks, inside his own tracks was the wolverine tracks. Going the same direction. That explained why his grandpa had been stopping every so often thinking or feeling like he had heard something behind him.

He got a spooky feeling and stopped and turned around to look behind him. Then the wind shifted, and he could smell him. B

I ran out of time. Will finish the story later.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:43 pm

Well I have the time now, but I hesitate to finish the story because people might think I made this up. But I didn't make it up. I was 18 at the time. The guy telling the story was named Stan, and was a few years older than me. In fact, I was the youngest guy and the newest guy on the loading dock.

So his grampa was sick of this wolverine stealing his fur, wrecking his sets, breaking into his line cabins, scent-marking any food it could not eat, and making life miserable for him.

He knew the smell, as any mink trapper knows the smell of mink. And he could smell the wolverine and knew he had been followed.

This is where the story gets fuzzy in my mind. Because the wolverine ambushed his grandpa and I can't remember how it happened, if it was a mine shaft or well that had been covered but caved in under his weight. I just remember him tumbling down with the wolverine into the darkness. But at one point the light above caused the wolverine eyes to shine as it attacked. His grampa pulled his knife and raised it, but it caught on a root and tumbled out of his hand. The wolverine was coming for His grandpas throat with it's mouth wide. Suddenly his grampa took his empty hand and shoved it deep into the throat of the wolverine, all the way through his body,and out the back end where he grabbed it's tail. He held onto that tail, and,with a mighty loggers arm, he thrust forward and down with all his might and turned the wolverine inside out.

At that point Stan and his buddies started laughing pretty hard. But I didnt think it was so funny because I think those teeth would have really hurt his grandpas arm when he turned that thing inside out.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:24 am

Laugh all you want but I had a similar thing happen with a badger, David. I've still got the scars and living witnesses. I guess the dogs had stirred him up a little in passing . I stepped into a little gully full of tumbleweeds and brush and was promptly caught and turned inside out. And still managed to hurt myself more getting away. At which point my buddies left the area and the hounds decided he might not be innocent. Well he caught one in the armpit and hung on. I went back in and deafened everyone with my 44. If it had been a wolverine I doubt I would have made it out the first time. Which is a prime reason I hunt on horseback day or night anymore. I've only seen two wolverines in my life and both were long ago. One was hung in a trap and shot. The other was just a glimpse.
Vet Jon

Postby Vet Jon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:50 am

They are great stories, I would love to see a wolverine - maybe from a safe distance though.
We have a fair few mustelids in the UK.
Our badgers can be pretty fierce too.
There was a lady who hit one with her car, thought it was dying so put it in her trunk and drove it to the vets to be euthanased.
When she got there the badger had recovered from the concussion and was very wild and angry in the back of her little car!

Return to “General Forum”